Friday, August 8, 2008

No Home Nurse Today

The nurse came last week and was amazed at how well I was doing, out of the hospital only a week, but nevertheless she decided to have someone come and see me for at least the next two weeks, on Thursday. So that would've been yesterday, and I got a call about 5:30 or 6:00 in the evening from the nurse, who asked if she could come today instead. Sure, I don't particularly care. I'm not doing all that much these days. But then she called again this morning, around 10:00am, and said that she had to go to a nursing home, and she wouldn't have time to see me. To my thinking, a nursing home probably needed her much more than me. Anyway, she said that either her supervisor or another nurse would be calling sometime today to set up another appointment. This has not yet happened.

Fortunately, I am not in desperate need of a nurse.

I think all they're supposed to do, actually, is take my vitals and see how I'm doing on the level of oxygen that I'm currently on. Since I have my own oxymeter, however, and at least once a week I see nurses and get my vitals checked and my oxygen levels officially monitored (when I go in for chemo), I really can't see that there's any need for a nurse to come to me anymore. There hardly was at the beginning, when I'd already turned down my oxygen from 4 liters, where it was when I got here, to 3. Then I saw Dr. Specht and she turned it down again to 2. Right now, I've taken it off, just to see what happens, and it turns out that blogging isn't really an exertion. My level is 96 right now, and 95-99 are normal.

I had a slight fever last night that lasted about 3 hours—went up to 100.4. I noticed it when I woke up from my afternoon nap and felt chilled in the warm house under the lovely afghan on my bed. I blame, in the best possible way, my Witch Doctor, whom I saw yesterday. He was very thorough, and the fever was probably related to mopping up some hospital-inspired infection. Today my temp is completely back to normal.

Also, I managed to close a window in our guest room that neither Ian nor I could budge last night. I had to use a hammer to get it loose, but in the end I was successful, and I only had to lie on the bed and pant twice. Not so bad!


NB—to be fair, Swedish Home Health just called about the nurse visit. Of course, they asked if they could just send someone next week, and I explained why maybe there wasn't any point, but someone is planning to come on Wednesday anyway. Okay, fine with me.

No comments: