Friday, February 13, 2009

When Day 7 is Also Day 1

I had my infusion yesterday, Thursday, for a very good reason—I'm leaving at noon today for Santa Cruz to spend the long weekend with my college girlfriends (lest you think "Sunny California! How lucky!", let me inform you that the weekend calls for heavy rain and temperatures hovering around 50 degrees. But still, college girlfriends!). The chemo drugs are definitely prescribed with a seven-day cycle in mind, and even one day early has a noticeable effect on my comfort. Last night, for example, I experienced some bone pain that I associated with the Neupogen from day 6, which, for several months, I haven't been injecting the night before a treatment (my dose was dropped from 6 to 5 shots last summer). I'm assuming that the added Neupogen in my bone marrow reacted to the early Taxol and Navelbine. At any rate, for about an hour it was quite painful. The cure seems to have been my cheeseburger, onion rings, and chocolate-cherry shake from Kidd Valley, followed by The Jewel of the Nile and Tool Academy.

Anyway, I feel just slightly off today. The reward, however, is that next Friday's infusion falls on Day 8!

No comments: