Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Small Ironies

One of the things Ian and I thought we'd do after I was done with cancer once and for all last year, after the mastectomy, was to start a fmaily. We thought why not? We're young, healthy, we'd make great parents. Of course anyone could see that because of the spectacular way we've raised our dog.

However, we didn't manage to get pregnant for a year, and then I started feeling nauseas in the mornings . . . and yet my morning sickness wasn't related to pregnancy . . . and we all know what happened.

But then I got a call from a nurse the other day, and Dr. Specht, looking at my blood, saw that my folic acid was low, so I'm on a pregnancy-prescription strength folic acid supplement for the next three months.

But, one of the benefits of these treatments I'm on is that I won't actually have periods anymore, and that's nice because it's so much more convenient to do things if you don't have to worry about that. But, this morning when I, er, released, I saw some blood. Nothing had hurt, so I was surprised, and a little concerned. But the next time I went to the bathroom, I saw that it was, in fact, a period. Presumably my last.

Sigh.

No comments: